POP Art Contest
Black Water Middle School students know how to turn trash into treasure. The school submitted an entry to the Horry County Solid Waste Authority’s annual POP (Protect Our Planet) Art Recycling Contest. Sixth grader Christopher Emery created a Christmas Tree of art with discarded keys, which was selected as the grand prize winner in the Horry County Solid Waste Authority’s POP Art Contest in recognition of America Recycles Day.
As grand prizewinner, Christopher received an electronic reading device, a plaque and a prize pack of recycled-content items including school supplies.
This was the thirteenth year the Horry County Solid Waste Authority offered the POP Art Contest. The contest is designed to promote environmental awareness and highlight the creative talents of students. The contest was open to all middle school students in Horry County.
The students were required to create a work of art using at least 70% of a specified material chosen by the Solid Waste Authority. This year’s material was discarded keys.
“Merry “Keys”mas!” will be on display through January 2018 at the Horry County Solid Waste Authority, located at 1886 Highway 90, Conway. For additional information, please contact the Horry County Solid Waste Authority at 843-347-1651 or visit them on the web at www.SolidWasteAuthority.org.
Pictured – Christopher Emery, Sixth Grader, Black Water Middle School, SWA 2017 POP Art Recipient
with Coach Joe Martin and Ms. Candace Lane (Principal of BWMS).
Horry County middle school students create artwork in the POP (Protect Our Planet) Art Contest.
Deadline: Friday, November 10, 2017
Artistic Material: KEYS (Metal or Plastic)
Entries must be delivered to Horry County Solid Waste Authority’s administrative office at 1886 Hwy 90 in Conway by deadline, Friday, November 10, 2017.
Prize: Winner will be announced at school in November 2017 and will receive an electronic reading device, a plaque, and media recognition.
POP Art Contest Rules:
1) At least 75% of artistic entry must be composed of KEYS (Metal or Plastic). Please do not use brand new KEYS. If you need some for your project, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will help you find an outlet.
2) Entry must be decorative or useful.
3) Entry must be created by the student (not parents or teacher).
4) Entries created by more than one student (such as from a club or a class) are accepted, but only one student will receive prizes. The school will decide which student will be the recipient.
5) It must not weigh more than 25 lbs.
6) All parts must be firmly attached.
7) Submissions become property of Horry County Solid Waste Authority, unless a written request is made.
Click here for POP Art Application to attach to your artwork.