Horry County middle school students can create a piece of artwork in the POP (Protect Our Planet) Art Contest.
Deadline: Friday, APRIL 16, 2021
Artistic Material: PLASTIC BAGS, BOTTLE TOPS, &/or CANDY WRAPPERS
Entries must be delivered to Horry County Solid Waste Authority’s administrative office at 1886 Hwy 90 in Conway by deadline, Friday, APRIL 16, 2021.
Prize: Winner will be announced at the end of the school year and will receive an electronic reading device, a plaque, and media recognition.
POP Art Contest Rules
1) At least 75% of artistic entry must be composed of PLASTIC BAGS, BOTTLE TOPS, &/or CANDY WRAPPERS.
2) Entry must be decorative or useful.
3) Entry must be created by the student (not parents or teacher).
4) Entries created by more than one student (such as from a club or a class) are accepted, but only one student will receive prizes. The school will decide which student will be the recipient.
5) It must not weigh more than 25 lbs.
6) All parts must be firmly attached.
7) Submissions become property of Horry County Solid Waste Authority, unless a written request is made.
POP ART Press Release 2018
Black Water Middle School students know how to turn trash into treasure. The school submitted an entry to the Horry County Solid Waste Authority’s annual POP (Protect Our Planet) Art Recycling Contest. Seventh grader Anna Baker and friends, Destinee Floyd and Paris Robbins created a Plastic Bag Cloud, entitled “Tears from Our Mother Earth”, which was selected as the grand prize winner in the Horry County Solid Waste Authority’s POP Art Contest.
As grand prizewinner, Anna received an electronic reading device, a plaque and a prize pack of recycled-content items including school supplies.
This was the fourteenth year the Horry County Solid Waste Authority offered the POP Art Contest. The contest is designed to promote environmental awareness and highlight the creative talents of students. The contest was open to all middle school students in Horry County.
The students were required to create a work of art using at least 70% of a specified material chosen by the Solid Waste Authority. This year’s material was used plastic bags.
“Tears from Our Mother Earth” will be on display through January 2019 at the Horry County Solid Waste Authority, located at 1886 Highway 90, Conway. For additional information, please contact the Horry County Solid Waste Authority at 843-347-1651 or visit them on the web at www.SolidWasteAuthority.org.
Horry County's POP Art Winners
- 2019 - Emaleigh Avant, Black Water Middle School "'Tis the Season to Recycle" used recovered Styrofoam for her artwork.
- 2018 - Anna Baker, Black Water Middle School "Tears From Our Mother Earth" used discarded plastic bags for her artwork.
- 2017 - Christopher Emery of Black Water Middle School "Merry "Keys"mas!" used discarded keys for his Christmas creation.
- 2016 - Casey Huggins of Aynor Middle School "Rain or Shine, Recycle!" used old plastic bags for her creation.
- 2015 - Abigail Gray, Samuel Ard, Railey Smith and Mitchell Goude of Aynor Middle School, "Bruce Refuse!" and used bottle top/cap creation.
- 2014 - Joey Page & Seth Hamilton of Aynor Middle School, "One World, Save It!" broken and used crayon creation.
- 2013 - Katelyn Barnhill of Aynor Middle School, "Give a Hoot! Don't Pollute!" plastic bag creation.
- 2012 - Hali Hutchinson of Green Sea Floyds Middle School, "The Road to Recycling" bottle top/cap creation.
- 2011 - MacKenzie Miller of North Myrtle Beach Middle School, "Big Bang Light Up" used CD's creation.
- 2010 - Walker Johnson of Aynor Middle School, "Ice Tree" used CD's creation.
- 2009 - Anastazia Herrington of Green Sea Middle School, "Best Friends for Better" used Styrofoam creation.
- 2008 - Destiny Watts and Alexys Dawson, Forestbrook Middle, "Peace, Love and Candy" candy wrapper creation.
- 2007 - Allison Dunavant, North Myrtle Beach Middle, "Generations Within Recycling For Tomorrow" plastic bag creation.
- 2006 - Jovonte Kinney, North Myrtle Beach Middle, "Horry County" bottle cap creation.
- 2005 - Tayler Todd, Aynor Middle, "The Mermaid" CD creation.
The Horry County Solid Waste Authority
1886 Highway 90, Conway SC 29526 • PH: 843.347.1651 • FX: 843.347.3653 • Email
VISIT THE SOLID WASTE AUTHORITY
The Horry County Solid Waste Authority offers facility tours of the Landfill, Material Recycling Facility and Recycling & Convenience Center to individuals and groups. These FREE tours are offered Monday through Friday at our location on Highway 90, outside of Conway. Please call 843-347-1651 to schedule a tour or obtain more information.